Because they serve such a wide variety of roles, area rugs come in all shapes, colors, textures, and sizes. Be it wild or subtle, extravagant or simple, these rugs are an easy way to express your decorative flair. Larger area rugs usually require the movement of furniture.
How Contemporary Area Rugs Complete Your Room
Area rugs serve a wide variety of purposes in home décor. They can be used to tie the look of a room together much as a scarf pulls an outfit together. Area rugs help define separate spaces within a larger room or add a touch of warmth and color to a hardwood or tile floor. They can also serve as a link between rooms. And these are just some of the possibilities.
The amount of care needed to help maintain the beauty of these rugs will vary according to rug’s material and construction as well as the specific usage. The first rule of choosing a contemporary area rug is to understand there really are no rules. Since much of the selection process is based on your own personal taste and sense of style, we simply offer some general guidelines to help make your room functional and versatile.
Standard Area Rug Guidelines and Tips
There are many things to consider when choosing the perfect area rug for your space. We’ve outlined a few tips that should help you pick the right area rug.
- Try using different patterns that use some common colors in the same room for a coordinated look that is also fresh.
- Do you feel boxed in by traditional rectangular or square rugs? Consider oval and round shapes as a way to inject new life in a room.
- Consider traffic patterns, exposure to spills, and other wear factors when choosing area rugs.
- Be sure to treat your area rug with a stain resistant spray prior to use, and continue as directed
- Hallway rugs should be approximately 2″ to 4″ narrower and 18″ to 24″ shorter than the hallway.
- Room size area rugs should leave a border of 18″ to 24″ on all sides.
- Other area rugs will vary in size according to need.