1. Cork Flooring is a completely natural flooring product. As far as its features and innate benefits are concerned, no man-made material can substitute or replace cork.
2. Cork is not a newly introduced flooring material. It has been used in flooring for well over 100 years. It was first used in the United States circa 1890 and became popular when renowned American architect Frank Lloyd Wright chose cork flooring for many of his home designs. Some famous buildings where cork flooring was used are the First Congressional Church in Chicago and the old Toronto Stock Exchange.
3. Cork flooring comes from the bark of the cork oak species. The bark is harvested without any negative environmental impact on individual cork oaks, in fact the bark re-grows and can be harvested again in 9 – 12 years. This makes cork flooring among the most environmentally friendly of flooring materials.
4. Cork flooring is regarded as one of the best choices in flooring for natural sound insulation ever produced. It actually absorbs ambient sound and generally reduces noise. This makes for a calm interior atmosphere.
5. Cork is among the best flooring options for people with allergies. Due to the presence of Suberin, a naturally occurring substance, it resists the growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria.
6. Cork flooring is naturally fire resistant. It also does not release any toxic gases on combustion.
7. Cork flooring is exclusively warm under foot and insulates heat and cold.
8. Cork is considered as one of the comfortable most flooring options available. It has a unique cellular structure, with millions of cells enclosed with a gaseous substance. It gives a soft feeling to the feet and joints of people walking and standing on cork floors for long.
9. Cork floors are very durable in nature. They have a very long life and can be repaired if damaged.
10. Cork flooring is very compressible and elastic. If heavy weight or a sudden impact has caused a dent in the cork floor, it will resume to its original shape over a period of time once the pressure is released.