When it comes to adding value as well as beauty to your home, there’s just about nothing that beats hardwood flooring.
Most, if not all, homes were built with hardwood flooring until about the 1950s or ’60s, when more and more developers were looking for ways to cut costs when building multi-lot housing developments. Cheaper linoleum flooring and carpeting became quite popular.
But hardwood flooring is not as expensive as it was in the past and so hardwoods have become very popular with homeowners in recent years. And with good reason.
Below, we’ll count the ways why you might want to consider placing hardwood flooring throughout your home.
- It’s easy to care for. Hardwood is easier to take care of than carpeting. Stains, for one thing, happen much less frequently. Spills are an easy wipe to clean. Many people still may believe that hardwoods are hard to maintain, but new finishes as well as new technologies have made hardwood floors a viable option for many homeowners. Once your floor becomes a bit dingy, it’s easy to get its shine back by refinishing — but that will be several years down the road.
- Hardwood floors are becoming more and more affordable every day. The many different styles, materials and colors found in today’s hardwood flooring means just about any homeowner can afford this type of flooring. In addition, hardwoods hold their value over time.
- Homebuyers love hardwood floors. You can price your home higher than you could if you just had carpet or linoleum floors. Hardwoods also don’t harbor dust mites, pet dander, molds, and other allergens — your family will love not sneezing as much!
- Wood is a natural, renewable resource: your floor could be recycled when the day comes. In addition, while most hardwood comes from trees, some others are coming from recycled buildings.
- Whether you prefer hardwood flooring in a dark or light shade, or something in between, you’ll be able to find it. If you prefer your planks long or short, you’ll find it. You’ll find it extremely easy to customize your wood floors to look exactly as you desire.